Last Online
    26-05-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant 2.5 v6

New member from Derbyshire

Hello all,

I am Jack, i'm 24 years old and I have only just found this Club so I decided that I should definitely join. I live in Dronfield,Derbyshire and I don't currently know of anyone else with a Galant in this area.

I own a 1998 Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 V6 24V it isn't a VR-4 version just standard innocent Galant It is my daily driver with 72k miles from new on the clock. I am planning on a bit of a recomission even though it's in great condition for it's age. Having not much history I have spent a fair bit on brand new parts to go on it and the steering has started to creak and it makes a not very nice noise sometimes but generally speaking I love driving it and out of all the Cars I have owned it's the best driving experience for sure.

Hopefully I can meet some more Galant enthusiast through this club and you never know I might be able to get my very own Triggert Mauve Purple VR-4 in the next couple of years

Regards,
    Jack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0117.jpg   IMAG0118.jpg   IMAG0119.jpg   IMAG0121.jpg   IMAG0122.jpg  

IMAG0123.jpg   rsz_1imag0115.jpg   rsz_imag0114.jpg  
    Last edited by Jack; 10-04-2016 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Remaining photos added

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The creaking steering is almost certainly a failing ball joint on one of the front lower straight suspension arms. Get those sorted asap as they can fail catastrophically resulting in loss of steering control and a wheel through the wheel arch.

After that, check out the events section for 21st May.

Name
    Jack
    Last Online
    26-05-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant 2.5 v6

Hi Nick that sounds nasty, it sometimes goes completely silent and smooth running again if I lubricate it but i'll get on it asap. I have tried uploading photos of its front and rear but the files are too big, i'll try and get some lower quality ones.

Thanks,
    Jack.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Cool! And joined up as full member straight away too!

I used to live in Brimington and Hasland, and worked in Sheffield for a few years. Played for a few seasons in the Dronfield Pool League!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome to the club. We are a friendly bunch, any questions, just ask away.

As Nick said, it would be wise to check that the lower straight arm ball joints are OK as they fail catastrophically if not attended to.

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Jack
    Last Online
    26-05-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant 2.5 v6

Thanks alot everyone I have got my Car in for a health check tomorrow at work to see what the noise is but im reluctant to take it out for a drive whilst its making this noise.

I'm not a mechanic so it's best to get the professionals to give it a check properly when it's up in the air. Lets hope it gets sorted as soon as.

Jack.

Name
    Malc
    Last Online
    29-11-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome aboard. I started with a V6-24, great car. That lead me on to my first VR4 and ClubVR4

Name
    Jack
    Last Online
    26-05-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant 2.5 v6

Thanks Malc! My dream VR-4 would be the Purple ones, a good original/standard Purple VR4.

Update on my V6, it's getting fixed tomorrow evening because it is a bit dangerous at the minute. The bottom arms especially at the front are on the verge of letting go completely and that is what was making the creaking noise so thanks again for letting me know about the bottom arm problems, it has potentially saved me a bad accident.

Regards,
    Jack.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

The lower arms are one of the few items on the car where OEM parts must be used. No pattern part has yet been found that doesn't fail prematurely. Unfortunately, this means the best part of £130 for an arm (gulp!), but they are the best.

Name
    Jack
    Last Online
    26-05-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant 2.5 v6

I have managed to order some parts through work and they were £160 for the pair, still got the other side to do before MOT. If they turn out to be the wrong ones my Galant will be on SORN for sure until I have saved up a few months. Gutting though for me because I love my V6, lets just hope these arms are proper.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

There have been OEM ones kncoking about for about £80 in the past. The prices do occasionally fluctuate!

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Also, the straight arms are the ones that really should be OEM. The curved arms are not quite so critical.

Name
    Jack
    Last Online
    26-05-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant 2.5 v6

Fingers crossed!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I think that there are some after market arms that are good, but I don't know how to tell the difference. If you need the car on the road, then new aftermarket will do that, but I wouldn't trust them for much more than six months. I'm not aware of any that have failed in less time than that, although I seem to remember that someone had a failure inside a year on an aftermarket jobbie.

Name
    Jack
    Last Online
    26-05-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant 2.5 v6

When I initially found out my heart sank a bit but then the mechanic who checked my Car over (easily the best mechanic at my place and very experienced) said that he has had a look at the parts and they weren't cheap. Ideally both sides need doing but I can save up a bit for the left side as long as I get them changed before MOT as they are squeaking but safe. They were £160 for the right side front and back but with his discount I have got them for £128 but I don't know what make they are but being as experienced as he is I can only hope he knows what he is looking at and has got OEM ones. I will ask tomorrow but at least my Galant can be safe to drive tomorrow and that horrible noise gone.

Just for future reference where can I get the best ones from?

Jack.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    When I initially found out my heart sank a bit but then the mechanic who checked my Car over (easily the best mechanic at my place and very experienced) said that he has had a look at the parts and they weren't cheap. Ideally both sides need doing but I can save up a bit for the left side as long as I get them changed before MOT as they are squeaking but safe. They were £160 for the right side front and back but with his discount I have got them for £128 but I don't know what make they are but being as experienced as he is I can only hope he knows what he is looking at and has got OEM ones. I will ask tomorrow but at least my Galant can be safe to drive tomorrow and that horrible noise gone.

Just for future reference where can I get the best ones from?

Jack.
    Main dealer, maybe www.viamoto.co.uk, occasionally eBay and once in a while on here!

Name
    Malc
    Last Online
    29-11-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit

The above post's are a good example of how great this club is.
    I've been on Scooby forums. SEAT forums, AUDI forums etc since VR4's but not a patch on this place when you need help.
    Keep it up CVR4

Name
    Jack
    Last Online
    26-05-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant 2.5 v6

Thanks for the responses everyone, I am happy to report that my Car is fixed, I found out that both sides are cheap nasty bottom arms which are fairly thin in comparison to the decent ones I have put on. It drives so much better and no more horrible noises. I am doing the other side when I have the money as the ball joint has a bit of play but is okay for now.

I will make sure I do my Galant justice it's just unfortunate that somebody decided to put rubbish parts on it.

I have been on a few other Car clubs and a lot of them have the same problem which made me decide to leave and that was negativity. It is something that I certainly cant see among the Galant enthusiasts. To me, helping people, appreciating others Cars and helping each other with their Cars and making friends is all part of what a Car club is about.

Regards,
    Jack.