Dev
    Last Online
    01-07-2017
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Autoglym detailing clay problem

I gave my car a wash last week and noticed that it badly needed attention regarding rough paintwork.

So I bought an Autoglym detailing clay kit this weekend. Using all Autoglym products, I first washed the car with car shampoo. It wasnt too bad because it was still clean and sealed from last week.

I then attacked the car with tar and bug remover. Gave it a few minutes to do its work and washed the whole car again followed quickly by a squeegy and chamois dry.

Then it was time for the clay bar. It instructed me to spray quick detailing spray generously to lubricate the clay bar. This I did. I then let it dry and buffed it off.

The problem is, its not buffing off properly. The heavy residue has lifted but its after leaving really pronounced streaks. Kind of like bad water marks. I tried buffing harder but that didnt help. I tried a damp cloth and a chamois over the area and it helped but its still present. Now its raining and the car looks crap.

Any ideas?

Name
    john
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeebuzz View Post
    I gave my car a wash last week and noticed that it badly needed attention regarding rough paintwork.

So I bought an Autoglym detailing clay kit this weekend. Using all Autoglym products, I first washed the car with car shampoo. It wasnt too bad because it was still clean and sealed from last week.

I then attacked the car with tar and bug remover. Gave it a few minutes to do its work and washed the whole car again followed quickly by a squeegy and chamois dry.

Then it was time for the clay bar. It instructed me to spray quick detailing spray generously to lubricate the clay bar. This I did. I then let it dry and buffed it off.

The problem is, its not buffing off properly. The heavy residue has lifted but its after leaving really pronounced streaks. Kind of like bad water marks. I tried buffing harder but that didn't help. I tried a damp cloth and a chamois over the area and it helped but its still present. Now its raining and the car looks crap.

Any ideas?
    Hi Dev,
    you said it was sealed and clean from last week but did you not clean the paint before you sealed it ??

Then you spayed on the quick detailing spray and let it dry surely you mean you spayed a section at a time and then used the clay bar in a small area and wiped with a microfiber cloth and then the next part and so on, once the car is smooth like glass you then polish,seal and then wax.

I think if you have sealed the paint and then put detailing spray on it clayed only parts that were rough and that has removed the seal so you have to strip off the seal and start again, sorry.

Try washing a part with washing up liquid and then clay till smooth,polish,seal then wax and see if better.

If not then next part...........................

Name
    Dev
    Last Online
    01-07-2017
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Hi john.

Yes i washed twice before the clay. Once to take off dirt and a second after the tar removal process. Then dried the car and started claying.

I think the problem might have been that the paint was too hot and my work areas were too large. Therefore letting the detailing spray dry too much.

I never used clay bar before. Am i supposed to wipe off excess before it dries?

The paint is super smooth but im left with streaks now. Maybe another light application of detailing spray might lift it.

Name
    Sean
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Have you watched videos on how to use a clay bar? Jump on YouTube and search, how to use a clay bar, my favourite vid is the one by ammo nyc, was the top video when I searched for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    31-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1999 Legnum VR4

Never a good idea washing cars or performing any kind of abrasive cleaning/polishing in the heat of the day as the sun will bake your product onto the car. Even a mild wash/wax solution will evaporate akmost instantly on hot paintwork.

Name
    john
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeebuzz View Post
    Hi john.

Yes i washed twice before the clay. Once to take off dirt and a second after the tar removal process. Then dried the car and started claying.

I think the problem might have been that the paint was too hot and my work areas were too large. Therefore letting the detailing spray dry too much.

I never used clay bar before. Am i supposed to wipe off excess before it dries?

The paint is super smooth but im left with streaks now. Maybe another light application of detailing spray might lift it.
    I don't think that the deataling spray will lift it but try and see, maybe clay it again but not in the sun and only do a bit at a time.

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

The only thing that is supposed to be dry before removing from car paintwork is either sealant or wax. Every thing else should be wiped off before its dry. It sounds like you may well need to polish again to remove the streaks and then re-seal/wax to protect the finish.

Cheers

Mu
    '07 Satin Black Shogun (Running), '98 Black Legnum VR4 Super (In Storage), '01 2.0 Silver Manual Galant Estate (Daily Driver), '98 Silver Colt (Dead), '97 Trigger Mauve Legnum VR4 Shell (Doner for Super)

Also in the family: '07 Mini Cooper, '05 2.0 Lancer Sport Estate

Name
    Dev
    Last Online
    01-07-2017
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Ok fellas. I got this sorted yesterday (the following day). Turns out that a small spray of quick detailer and a quick wipe of a micro fiber sorted out the streaks. Phew!! Was getting worried.

So de-streaked the car and sealed it. Now its super smooth and shiny. And now the minor swirl marks are more evident. That will be my next thing to sort out.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll know better the next time.