Mark
    Last Online
    19-10-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    VR4 V6 Single T

Quote Originally Posted by H.7
    Yeah, but I don't like to go flat out everywhere, and the lag in a big single turbo setup is a pain in the ass if all you want to do is pass someone quickly without scaring the sh!t out of him. I appreciate (and note from your signature that you live your life a quarter mile at a time) that some people see outright acceleration as the only thing that matters but, for me, day-to-day driveability is much more important and a big single turbo, with its attendant lag, doesn't provide that.
    Fair call then.

I'm getting a bit confused as to just what people are trying to achieve now.... Are they shooting for outright power, or driveability? Its been proven the stock turbos are good for at least 350hp anyway (and a shedload of torque to boot)...

Meh, I'm after different things to most on here I think. There's a few like me who are after cars that some would class as weapons - and the rest want just "a bit more than stock" - the factory bits do that quite nicely, just give them a nudge in the right direction

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by ako
    Fair call then.

I'm getting a bit confused as to just what people are trying to achieve now.... Are they shooting for outright power, or driveability? Its been proven the stock turbos are good for at least 350hp anyway (and a shedload of torque to boot)...

Meh, I'm after different things to most on here I think. There's a few like me who are after cars that some would class as weapons - and the rest want just "a bit more than stock" - the factory bits do that quite nicely, just give them a nudge in the right direction
    lol, and wouln't it be great to have a car that other people are just tooo scared to drive

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by H.7
    Yeah, but I don't like to go flat out everywhere, and the lag in a big single turbo setup is a pain in the ass if all you want to do is pass someone quickly without scaring the sh!t out of him. I appreciate (and note from your signature that you live your life a quarter mile at a time) that some people see outright acceleration as the only thing that matters but, for me, day-to-day driveability is much more important and a big single turbo, with its attendant lag, doesn't provide that.
    BORING!

You are forgetting one thing. The 2.5ltr V6 Quad Cam Engine, without the turbos has about 160hp. Its actually a very comfortable car to drive off boost. My boost gauge never really gets much above (-)10psi at most when daily driving... i just can't afford the gas. So we aren't talking about making the car undriveable

We aren't talking about putting a T51r on a 1800. We are talking about putting a correctly sized turbo on a 2.5 ltr v6 engine. A single turbo rated at 450 HP is going to be NO more laggy than a twin turbo setup with each turbo rated at 225HP. If anything it is easier to match a single turbo than two smaller turbos to get the right boost response and top end pressure.

anyway - blah blah blah - this is an arguement long in the tooth. but i'm the kind of guy that can't resist chucking my two cents in the pot.

oh and if anybody cares. i'm practising what i'm preaching... going for a GT25 myself

Name
    Val
    Last Online
    15-12-2018
    Country
    Russia
    Car
    VW Phaeton W12

I hope that's "twin GT25"?!?

Last Online
    12-05-2006
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 Legnum VR-4

Probably depends on wether you're driving a manual or auto. When I'm driving the manual (which is just a 2ltr N/A) I'm always in the high revs but when I'm driving the Legnum its always in 5th (and it still uses more petrol!!)

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by AllBeItMine
    i just can't afford the gas.
    Cant afford the gas but can afford:

going for a GT25 myself

A single turbo rated at 450 HP is going to be NO more laggy than a twin turbo setup with each turbo rated at 225HP.
    Errrrrr.......thats bollox mate!

Name
    Brian
    Last Online
    24-10-2012
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, S60R, GT-R

A single turbo rated at 450 HP is going to be NO more laggy than a twin turbo setup with each turbo rated at 225HP.
    ROFL. If that were the case, Mitsubishi wouldn't have bothered with the expense and complexity of the twin-turbo setup. A single turbo helping a base 160bhp engine to 450bhp will have enough lag to allow me to make a cup of tea AND have a scone and jam
    S60R | GT-R

artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

we shall see i spose.

Last Online
    01-01-2007
    Country
    Other

well time for my 2cents

I am running a Garrett GT30 turbo on my 6A13, it has a little bit of lag if your cruising and put your foot down.

drop it back a gear and there is very little lag

from a standing start if you want there is no lag

for daily driving the torque characteristics of the 6A13 engine make for lovley driving when off boost

also my engine starts to build boost around 3000 RPM

and if you want a bit of thrill nail it and hold on to the wheel

would love to drive a VR4 with a GT30 or GT30R on it, the 4 wheel drive would be fantastic, being able to get that 4 wheel traction off the line. Priceless

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12