Last Online
    19-04-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Audi A4 Tdi

Wink kickin the tune's?

ive posted in the non VR4-section,but this question is for all to answer

ive read some post in many section's,but thought i'd ask.....what type of sound system are you using and what other ICE have you got in your car's? ive been there with the large install in past car's but with my Galant ive only added a amplified EQ and a sony head unit (for now ) ive got some plan's but then tell my self "what's the point"?
    what problem's have you came across while "up-grade'n"..if any?
    E39 BMW SPORT

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

The "What's the point?" covers it for me. My home system is worth around £7k at rrps, and will destroy anything you can get in a car because a car is simply too noisy an environment. I work in the hifi industry, and hear a lot of stuff and find a lot of rooms aren't quiet enough, let alone any cars.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    23-05-2011
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Z3 Coupe 2.8

I tend to agree, however I have got a Pioneer Nav head unit, with a changer, and am just about to add the iPod interface box (came out Monday!) over easter.

Don't see too much point in much else. The speakers are good enough for the head unit....

A
    Formerly: '99 Black Legnum VR4
    Then: '99 Toyota Corolla (succesfully adopted by Girlfriend )
    Then: Audi A3, gave up on the Cabrio idea (T-boned by a guy who couldn't see in the dark. Quote "Your car is too black")
    Now: Smart Cabrio (so much fun from so little HP)
    Latest: BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8 (ahhhh... that's better)

Last Online
    23-02-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97' Legnum VR4

well am afraid I have to agree with Ian, there's just nothing better than driving a VR4 that's complimented with a decent sound system and my car would have been kitted out with a nice apline system by now if my gearbox hadn't crapped out
    2.5 V6 Twin turbo Uber Fridge !!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Disagree with you, Isaac. I have a reasonable Hi-Fi at home, so yes, the car will never be as good, but I spend as much time listening to tunes in the car as at home, so it ought to be reasonable.

The standard UK fit Philips head unit is not too bad, the front speakers are excellent, but the rear speakers are poor.

I have put a Pioneer double-din in mine and changed the rear speakers to infinities. The speakers were £60 from Halfrauds and were worth every penny. The Pioneer sounds better than the Philips, but maybe not enough to justify what I spent on it?!

Improve the sounds. You don't need to spend mega bucks on amps and subs - just a powerful head unit and good rear speakers.

Last Online
    25-07-2007
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 Legnum VR4

hmmmm my opinion differs from nick mann, i think you should have good ampd front speakers & a decent 10" sub for nice sq

ive had all types of setups, from spl to good sounding music

right now i got a cadence 800wrms amp runnin a 1200wrms cerwin vega stroker and also a 50wrms x 4 running front sony components & sony coax's in the back doors

i'll definately pick car audio over home sounds even though i have a reasonably expensive & sweet sounding settup in my lounge.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    19-04-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Audi A4 Tdi

Curtain taken hold of me now!!

HHMM!..while you guy's have been jotting down some answer's to my Question,ive been out and bought a set of JBL 6X9's for the rear shelf...yip straight out and bought them,without even looking at the shelf on my saloon????
    FuSk'n ell ive gave my self a job!,they aint really built for 6X9 are they?
    i'm in the middle of building some new holder's? from MDF for them to sit in which i'll fit on top of the original speaker hole....hopefully if that dont work then i'll be building a whole shelf

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    19-04-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Audi A4 Tdi

work in progress
    just got a few smoothing bit's and then either paint or cover with material and one will be done and then time to do the other ,then fit them securely..finger's crossed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Of course, what every person does is different. I don't listen to music in the car anyway and spend more time at home than in the car. However, like I said, I work in hifi, I run a large internet hifi forum, etc so I have a different perspective to most people. What anyone else does is probably the right thing for them.

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Must admit I was never one for the big installs, but in my last VR4 I went down the route of having a Pioneer head unit with motorised tv screen, a DVD player in the second din slot, tv screens in the headrests and an amp/sub in the boot.

Whilst I have not gone as far this time, I did really miss the sub ! The difference it makes is well worth the fairly small investment, especially with the type of rock/metal I like to listen too whilst driving. So I did not invest in upgrading the head unit this time as Simon kindly left the Kenwood head unit and multi-changer in it, and had also upgraded the rear speakers to Infinity Kappa's. All I had to do was add the amp/sub and plumped for a 12" sub again as I don't think a 10" was quite up to the job.

Even Shaz now says the best song for the car is AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" blasting through the sub........does make all the mirrors vibrate and your body shake mind

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

all i've got is an alpine head unit with all the bells and whistles (adjustable cross overs and high and low pass filters) with the original mitsubishi front speakers and a set of kenwood two ways in the shelf , it's enough for now especially as she who thinks she must be obayed says that i'm not allowed a sub coz i'd probably make my 18mth old son deaf, he isn't bothered as he is rather partial to a bit of led zeppelin and pink floydd , start 'em young.

Last Online
    29-08-2006
    Country
    United States
    Car
    Ex VR4-Type S

I have a pioneer system. But more often than not, I leave it off to listen to the exhaust and turbo whine.

Last Online
    26-01-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Astra 1.9CDTi 120 XP

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke
    I have a pioneer system. But more often than not, I leave it off to listen to the exhaust and turbo whine.
    Ditto.

The only real time the stereo gets turned on is when I see the girlfriend about to start talking.....
    Legnum Boy

Kwik Kwak's Rule

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    19-04-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Audi A4 Tdi

when i'm aloan in the car i like my music loud "and i dont care who hears it"
    as for the new JBL 6X9's???not as good as their stuff ive used in the past...may have to hook an amp onto them and see if they just need a boost?.....then again ,the way in which ive mounted them may be taking something from the sound
    think i'll strip the lot and replace it all with quality wire?

Name
    Dan
    Last Online
    14-03-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4

I loves me moozic.....

But I also loves me turbo noise and dump valve.......

More often than not its very loud music that wins though.....

I have always upgraded sound systems in my cars........currently got a sony head unit MP3/cd job.... 10 disc changer...... changed the front speakers for universal Sony 3 ways ... not sure about these.... think I prefered the Infinitys I have in my other car...... I also got an old denon 8" sub in a tube waiting to go in the back.... I've used this thing in my other cars and I lurve it.... sounds ace. Very punchy and not boomy at all.....

I would'nt mind amplifing all the speakers just to hear the difference though.... ahh we'll see.... and no install is complete without some blue lights somewhere ... whether they be neons or LED's.....

Name
    bal
    Last Online
    02-01-2014
    Country
    Other

sounds in the car are a must have come. come on boys, when your curising down the motorway dont you want something on really loud?

i used to have a SPL install in the car (ask Pezza about the size of my sub) but i sold it all off and now going down the quiet sql style install.

currently have a set of hifonics comps up front - wired to an xtant amp.
    rear speakers - undecided as to what to get.
    subs - 2 x 10" ppi pros powered of a nice power accoustik amp.

all generally very nice.
    VR4s, interesting aint they .....

Name
    James
    Last Online
    01-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Has anyone got an iPod hooked up?

Curious to see what sort of install others may have done.

Name
    bal
    Last Online
    02-01-2014
    Country
    Other

i used to have a pc in my clio. was one of the first to try it. this was years ago. i know bda has done this now and im thinking about doing it. going to measure up tomorrow to see about putting screens in.

Name
    Jelle
    Last Online
    25-09-2012
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant 2.5 v6

This is what i have in the car for now. All parts were bought for previous cars, hence why the subwoofer box doesn't really fit (was custom made for fiat brava ). In the trunk i have two pioneer 600 watt woofers and two alpine speakers, a jvc amplifier (was a bargain at a local shop, wich was selling out everything, and was supposed to be a temporary solution, but never got around to buy another (decent) one), in front in the doors i have two alpines and two pioneers, and the head unit is a panasonic mp3-player, which i'm quite happy with. Cost about 400 pounds when i bought it, now you can get it for 150 pounds
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '03 2.5 V6 Avance

-Life's your cup, drink it up.

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

Not very handy when you want to carry a couple of compost bags home!

Sorry, I love my sounds in the car, but im pretty happy with the stock speakers etc. Changed the head unit to a Kenwood jobbie and a 6 disk changer.

Personally, I dont think a stereo should compromise a cars ability to carry stuff, besides I dont think a muddy mountain bike on top of a sub will do it any favours! And I like to hear the engine, sometimes!
    No longer empty and frantic...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast