Last Online
    19-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 Legnum

Thought I had a bad rear AYC Differential

Hi all,

I think with this problem I'm about to describe it might be a well known noise and symptom, but being new to fixing cars I was a bit perplexed so anyone who is also new to the VR4 then this might be for you.

When I picked up my Legnum in July I noticed a whining noise at around 50 to 90mph. The only experience I'd had with four wheel drive was a few rides in a land rover. So I'm thinking is this ok is it normal. Then my doubt got the better of me after I checked the wheel bearings as I was aware the rear AYC diff in these does go from time to time.

So I asked Nev who doesn't live far if I could drive down and get him to listen...

He came up with tyres and aftermarket wheels possibly causing it, so offered to lend a few wheels and tyres just to try down the road and see if it went away.

At that time another issue came along that took my eye off the problem (!)

But I said to Nev I'll rebuild the original suspension on all four corners first that came with the car and take the Cusco Coilovers off. Replace all the Fluids in Transfer Box, Rear Diff (Gear oil & Clutch pack) Recheck wheel bearings and then get an alignment done. This all checked out and after a tentative run up to 60mph on axle stands it proved it. No noise off the ground.

Nev was absolutely correct it was the tyres had been picking up a bit on the inside tread. Replaced both tyres and noise all gone.

The tyres were Yokohama Sdrive AS01 in the standard Legnum size AS01 225/45 R17 91Y

Thanks for all the advice Nev!

So any other newbies a bit concerned with a classic worn wheel bearing type noise coming from the rear perhaps take a look at your tyres before panicking.... It might not be your AYC Diff going bad.

Kev

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

I don't see the obsession with Yokohamas, I went through 6 sets of tyres goon the evo & they were by far the worst. Ok at best if the road was perfect & bone dry, utter pants for everything else. I can't honestly remember which ones they were though
    Possibly the only VR4 that was driven by the current owner before being registered..... & it's a UK car