Last Online
    06-04-2018
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant V6 2,5

Galant 2002 alarm...

Hi everyone

Today my galants alarm started to behave a bit weird. Soon as i lock the car by the fob it locks and light flashes twice (thats normal) but after few seconds it flashes 5 times and alarm goes off with continous annoying sound. Ive checked all doors, hood, trunk and all the sensors seem to be working. The only way to lock the car without alarm is to use key on drivers door. Any ideas what that migh be?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

If you check the alarm instruction manual it will tell you what the 5 beeps mean.

with my alarm (cobra) when you lock the car with the fob and the alarm sound continuously it mean one of the doors, bonnet or boot sensors is indicating it is not shut.

it is easy for one of the switch to get a bit corroded and not operate correctly particularly the bonnet one.

another possibility is the location of the alarm siren is it mounted on the fire wall in the engine bay in the middle above the rear turbo. if so then it could be over heating. mine was mounted there and as soon as i moved it, it was ok.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Wojtek
    Last Online
    06-04-2018
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant V6 2,5

Ive cleaned all the switches but cant find the one in the boot...where is it? Ive the elegance version 2.5 v6 (not twin turbo)

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

saloon or estate?

i am not sure where the switch is in the boot, but as long as the interior light goes off when the boot is shut the switch is working. the alarm works be sensing a current drain when the interior light goes on. If you have the interior lights switched off the alarm will not trigger if the doors are opened.
    the bonnet switch on the other hand is usually a separate optional switch with is connected to the alarm by a dedicated wire. this si required because cars do not normally have a light that comes on when the bonnet is lifted.

to test the bonnet switch just connect a meter from the terminal on the back to the chassis and posh the switch it should make and break the connection. The bonnet switch does not normally fail as a short circuit due to rust and contamination on the contacts. the switch usually fails open circuit so it does not matter if the bonnet is open or closed the switch indicates the bonnet is closed which would not set the alarm off. but it need check to be sure.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

@giblet have similar problem and it was boot switch, may he can explain further what's what
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

if it is a saloon you could test the boot switch by removing the bulb in the boot and close boot set the alarm. if it sets correctly then the boot switch is faulty and not switching the bulb off in the when the boot is closed.

as i have never owned a mitsi saloon i don't know if there is any way to see into the boot when the boot lid is closed, is there a ski hatch or does the rear seat fold. i know some saloon rear seat are foldable in other cars but mnot sure on galant saloons.

Name
    Wojtek
    Last Online
    06-04-2018
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant V6 2,5

I have the salon version and yes the rear seats are folding down, no problem here. I have unplugged the alarm beeper for now and im just using key to lock the car. Tomorrow I will look for the switch in the boot and report back. Havent really seen the light in the boot for a while but maybe thats just me not paying attention