Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Headlight Restoration

Right guys whilst this is not VR-4 related I do need some help/advice.

I had very cloudy horrible lights on my 350Z and decided to restore them using Meguiars 2 Step Headlight Restoration Kit.

Dead easy to do. Did it yesterday with the lights still on the car as I couldnt be arsed to remove the bumper to get the lights out. After I clear coated them at Step 2 I left to dry. Only issue was it was too cold for it to dry properly and the clear coat started to crack as it dried.

Anyhow I then removed the front bumper today and took out the lights. Went through the entire process again and now they have 2 dried coats of clear coat on them and they look fantastic. Now the question is for all you detailing guru's out there. Can I now put them back on the car now that it is raining slightly?? Now the lights have been inside for well over 2hrs now and the 2nd coat is completely dry to touch.

Meguiars do say that it will take up to 24hrs for the coat to cure properly so will this be affected by the cold and the wet if I put them back on now?

Was looking at using the car this evening and also conscious of the lack of light these days. Its not a massive drama if I cant use the car tonight but I would like to.

So any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh and to the Mods I didnt know where to place this thread as its not really VR-4 related but it is "Exterior (Panels, Bumper, Body kits, Lights, etc.)" related please move if necessary

Name
    Dan
    Last Online
    21-04-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom

I would personally not leave any freshly painted object or otherwise in any type of weather condition, as a painter, using the latest automotive paint I can say that, unless it has been fully cured in a spray booth at 70.c for 30 minutes then wait the 24 hours as stated, to be on the safe side.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

Just stick a torch on the dash; I'm sure the Feds won't mind
    Possibly the only VR4 that was driven by the current owner before being registered..... & it's a UK car