Thread: Looking at Buying a Legnum - From Canada!

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    10-02-2017
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Lancer Evo IV

Looking at Buying a Legnum - From Canada!

So I've been on the fence about buying a Legnum/Galant VR4 for the last few months, I think I'm going to pull the trigger as there is a nice example of a Legnum with an MT near me for a great price. I am located in Alberta, Canada.

I have a question about the ecu side of things. I currently own a Lancer Evo IV, that makes in the 330whp range, so maybe 380-400 bhp? Anyway I have tuned the car entirely on my own using ecuflash and evoscan as well as a few other things to help me along the way. I have experience tuning several Evos, STIs, and DSM's (Eclipse/Talon). I read the tuning FAQ to see it is possible to reflash the ecu using ecuflash, but what software do you guys use to log? Do you use Evoscan, or another program?

I see that the fuel pump is a restrictive part of the car, can a stock style unit fit in to replace (Walbro 255, DW200, Aeromotive etc)? Or do I need to buy something fancy?

Are the turbos able to be swapped out for other MHI turbos (think Evo 16G's etc), and is single turbo conversion a thing on the 613ATT? Also are the stock twins setup on a twin-scroll setup, so they are reverse flow, or are they just standard?

Thanks, Richard.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Tubs are TD03, work in parallel (spool the same, flow the same etc) and are a unique fitment to the 6A13TT. No off the shelf upgrade path is available, although people have fabricated upgrades both on a single and twin basis.

There are a few ECU options in the car as standard and all are flashable. Earlier models, up to late 1998, have a 7201 which is flashable but in a limited way. Timing/fuel/load (boost) can be modified but not much else. Then there is an H8 which didn't make it into many cars, September 1998 ish only AFAIK. After that there were 7202 and 7203, both of which can be relatively heavily modified to utilise switchable maps, launch, nlts etc.

Yes, several of us have a Walbro 255.

Hope that helps a little - sorry if my tuning paragraph sounds poor, I am not in any way expert at that side of things!

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi Richard,

As Nick said, the turbos are both identical - single-scroll TD-03, which are specific for our vehicle, and no other turbos will bolt directly on. Also, space is a premium, so even fitting TD-04s can be a squeeze!

Tuning/logging is done via EvoScan/ECUFlash with an OpenPort 2.0 cable - for earlier ECUs (metal cased) you also need the MMCFlash #1 dongle. The principles will be the same as what you know from your Evo, but you won't get similar gains from a 6A13TT engine as standard.

In-tank pump can be replaced with a Walbro 255 or equivalent, we usually buy ones noted as being for an Evo anyway!

There's loads of guides and articles around here which can give you better-written explanations than we can do trying to recite it - so please take a look around the various sections at the stickies, and if you have any specific questions that these threads don't answer, don't hesitate to ask

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    10-02-2017
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Lancer Evo IV

Thanks for the responses. Going to check out the wagon this weekend. A little bummed about it being fairly restricted out of the box but it will be fun to modify.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

You can get good torque increases on stock tubs but headline horsepower us more awkward. For example I have seen 370 lbft several times on stock tubs.