Quote Originally Posted by Amonlym View Post
A warning to others:
I got myself a cable appearing visually identical, but discovered after trying to connect it that the one you need *must* have an FTDI usb-serial chip on it. the one i got had a different pcb inside to what Confused shows, and will not work (unless anyone has any advice) the easiest clue i can see is that Confused's has a clear LED, mine was solid red.

the hunt continues
Mine came with a RED LED and is using a WCH CH340T USB to Serial chip [data-sheet] which I'm pretty sure if I install the drivers for [link], will work pretty much exactly the same as the FTDI chip based ones

Here's a photo for reference

IMG_20190428_162053.jpg

IMG_20190428_162107.jpg

Also, following on from Dave's initial post (*excellent post by the way Dave) is there an alternative PIN on the adapter that can be used to ground Pin #1, rather than Pin #4, as on my adapter Pin #4 is tucked underneath the daughter board and looks rather fidly to get to?

Also - just because I'm interested - what mode does grounding pin #1 on the ECU adapter do to the ECU? I've been reading that the VAG protocol is also used by Fiat / Seat in an expanded way so adapters work there too but have even more functionality on different pins for MES [link]