Today I decided its time to start this now or scrap it for good, why? I need to retrieve bottom part of plenum to pre fit LPG injectors hence I drag it out of corner where this engine lived for about three years and been covered by lots of crap, turn it up as it was heads down to take less space, and it was a bit of a shock of how things looks like.

It was a fairly fresh import with about 100k km when one of rods bearing go bang (still drive in to my garage and it was running smooth on idle, only knocking its tits off at about 3k RPM) so I did change it for working unit and hence I know this car and its history (here in UK) I decided to keep it and rebuild later and have it as spare when mine go bang, there we are 3+ years later mine current engine is running great as ever and this rebuild plans still not happened, well till now. It is one of my bucked list things, not that im planning to leave this world that early.

As you can see on pictures, it become all badly rusty and alloy parts are badly oxidized, so its now or never.

It will be long project only to kill a bit of spare time and I will be trying to learn as much as I can while Im doing it as if this become successful, ie it will be swap straight in to my VR4 after rebuild, and it will do some considerable miles without an issue I may bite the bullet and forge mine current one, so bare with me on this one and if you have any tips along my way you more than welcome to input now than later.

Plan is
strip it out to bare block
rework heads, planing by workshop, regrind valves by myself
clean all oil galleys in block as there will be some debris from old crank bearings
change all main bearings and one affected by bearing damage con rod, have good crank taken off good running engine to use for this rebuild
obviously clean all parts/bolts/lash ect ect,

Main plan is to keep it simple (cheap) on all genuine parts, change only whats necessary (bearings/cam belt/thermostat/spark plugs/front and rear crank seals ect) no upgraded parts will be used as it is my first attempt on such an enormous job so if something not end up as planned it will be not a massive loss. Hoping to have this finish by end of this year autumn and swap over b4 coldness of winter arrive, fingers crossed

here's few photos of current state

20170307_191544.jpg20170307_191550.jpg20170307_191555.jpg20170307_191602.jpg20170307_191608.jpg20170307_191615.jpg20170307_200731.jpg20170307_200740.jpg