Last Online
    15-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR-4 E84

VR4 Modification

Hello All.

I have just had fitted a carbon fibre NACA duct on the bonnet to help feed in cold air to the HKS Super Power Flow Air Filter.

I will be taking it out for a speed trial this weekend to see if it makes any difference.

Any other VR-4 owners out there who have tried this method to feed cold air to a HKS filter?

Regards, Humayun.

PS: I took a photograph of the NACA duct on the car but the image is too large to attach here. I can email what it looks like if anyone is interested.

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

Quote Originally Posted by kitefighter
    PS: I took a photograph of the NACA duct on the car but the image is too large to attach here. I can email what it looks like if anyone is interested.
    Send it to me and I'll edit it or you and post it here if you like. bernard at bernmc dot freeserve dot co dot uk
    ----
    Dr McCuckoo - Avatar Victim Extraordinare.

The KieranCorp Secret Service continues to viciously abuse and falsely accuse this innocent paragon of virtue. The distress has been so great that he no longer can continue his selfless charitable work with homeless children and abused sheep.

The Kierancorp Secret service is interested in hearing from anyone who has red hair, likes wearing a spook uniform, and enjoys nocturnal barbecues. Funny handshake optional.

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

Here we go then: Pics from kitefighter...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Humayun
    Last Online
    15-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR-4 E84

Thanks for posting the pictures. Anyone else tried feeding cold air to a modified air filter? If so, did you notice any difference in performance?

KiteFighter

Last Online
    06-12-2016
    Country
    United States
    Car
    US 1999 Galant ES V6

honestly i don't think that would make much of a difference...the engine compartment will still be pretty warm, maybe a tiny bit cooler, but not enough to make any large difference, but it looks good

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

ive got a 4 inch bendy pipe coming up from lower bumper right infront of filter..
    theres a plan to move the shroom to the battery area.. but as yet, thats not been completed..
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Last Online
    25-07-2007
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 Legnum VR4

looking good, thought about painting it black? i have one on my bonnet as well & it felt like it made a difference

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Just for general info, we had snow in the uk and low tempratures a couple of weeks back, there was a good snow fall in the evening and frost overnight, so when I came out to the car in the morning there was about 2 inches (5cm) of frozen hard snow on the hood, I drove 30 miles to work and when I got there the only ice / snow on the hood that had melted was a diamond shape right above the air filter box, no melted snow any where else on the bonnet, just above the airbox, anybody else notice this?. I am getting some thermal matting to wrap around the airbox to try to keep the heat away. I was quite surprised by this, I would have thought that the area above the engine would have been hotter
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Just for general info, we had snow in the uk and low tempratures a couple of weeks back, there was a good snow fall in the evening and frost overnight, so when I came out to the car in the morning there was about 2 inches (5cm) of frozen hard snow on the hood, I drove 30 miles to work and when I got there the only ice / snow on the hood that had melted was a diamond shape right above the air filter box, no melted snow any where else on the bonnet, just above the airbox, anybody else notice this?. I am getting some thermal matting to wrap around the airbox to try to keep the heat away. I was quite surprised by this, I would have thought that the area above the engine would have been hotter

i think you will find its not so much the heat the engine is generating, but the wind that passes over the bonnet that caused this.

while sitting still, the engine heat will pretty much heat the bonnet in a pretty even way. but as you are driving, the cold air you pass through only touches/rubs up against the bonnet in certain places. The places it touches should still be cold.

Last Online
    06-12-2016
    Country
    United States
    Car
    US 1999 Galant ES V6

well, my full caron hood/bonnet keeps my engine temp so low on the gauges that it doesn't even read above the C anymore...it was always in the middle which is normal, but now with he full carbon EVO VI it never even gets really warm...the full hood/bonnet is a great investment... but that carbon air induction is a good cheap investment to pass more cold air through