16-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I have had a BMW i3 for nearly four years now and I love it I also love my Galant ,but got the i3 as a replacement for the diesel fiesta that I brought new in 2011 (still own it) I would have got a Tesla back then but they only had the more expensive ones out.
    I paid around the same price as you paid and may have to replace it as I will at present have to pay the congestion charge from next year, hopefully they scrap it and if BMW can’t give me a good deal I will look at the Model 3 .
    By then they will be even better
    I know what you mean by put your foot down I have surprised many a driver who think that the i3 is slow but off the mark it is always fun
    Enjoy yours as much as you can.
    Btw how do you charge it at home ?

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Quote Originally Posted by galantnight View Post
    Btw how do you charge it at home ?
    I have a 7kW podpoint.

It was actually included as part of purchasing the Leaf, and we paid £95 extra to have a 7kW instead of a 3.6kW unit installed. The leaf could not make use of the extra, but I knew that a future vehicle would. After I sold the Leaf I swapped the type 1 cable to type 2, which cost me a total of £25 to do.
    It's been a crazy year, But through all the damage done,
    I have turned and I have learned, To make next year a better one,
    Singing Oh Hallelujah,
    Singing Oh I am home.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    01-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Cracking read Isaac. Really good to have a proper objective review.

I know the march that way is inexorable, and there is a certain rose-tinted view of ICE, especially for petrolheads. We should probably have one ourselves, but the main barrier is the initial outlay required.

Your review has given us food for thought (I've been boring Amy senseless, er, I mean, discussing the finer points of your lengthy tome with her!), especially with you saying you were surprised to find it within reach. The running costs speak for themselves, although it's the same argument as for fitting LPG - the outlay.

We really need to go out in one!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    john
    Last Online
    16-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by I-S View Post
    I have a 7kW podpoint.

It was actually included as part of purchasing the Leaf, and we paid £95 extra to have a 7kW instead of a 3.6kW unit installed. The leaf could not make use of the extra, but I knew that a future vehicle would. After I sold the Leaf I swapped the type 1 cable to type 2, which cost me a total of £25 to do.
    I wanted a charger at home but with two cars on the drive (Galant and a Evo) has no space for the i3 so I can charge it from the mains takes time but like you said when it parked you are not useing so it ok I do charge at the 50kw charger when I can and also mine has the range extender engine so I can’t really be out of power and so far never run out of charge

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

I think that "rose tinted" is a good term.

I'm not going to suggest that a model 3 will scratch the same petrolhead itch that a Ferrari or whatever does. However, there's good reason that I cited the 330i several times as a comparison. The 330i is not the Enthusiast's machine it once was. Where maybe there was an enthusiast argument for a sonorous naturally aspirated i6 and 6-speed manual, that's not what the 330i is anymore. It's just another 2.0 4-cyl turbo with an auto and fake noise pumped through the stereo. And anyway, the market went to diesel and so the car to really look at is the 320d (which once optioned to an equivalent spec is pretty much on par with the Tesla on price.) Is anyone that enthusiastic about a 4-pot diesel, laden with dodgy DPF, stop-start,etc?

I would say that any 2 car family needs to take a REALLY close look at EV as second car at least - typically a second car won't be used for long journeys, and unlikely to do more than 50 miles in a day. The Leaf gets a lot of stick from enthusiasts but it's actually a pretty good hoot to chuck around the place - really responsive drivetrain, genuinely quick 0-30 and very grippy (CoG and weight distribution are good). I have a bit of a soft spot for the Kia Soul EV, which is really well engineered in a lot of ways.

I think it's worth going out and having a go in any EV really just to get the feel of it.

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    26-01-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Good read Isaac...... not that I read it ! brain freeze after first line [few words]

Can I give you my Dan's summary of a tesla?

He has a 530e, although he could have virtually any car he wants [within reason] He picked 3 cars to test.... S class, Defender & Tesla S.

Ignoring the 1st two, the Tesla S .. in his words.. "ludicrously fast [see what I did there?] but a bag of sh!t to drive"

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

The S is very different to the 3. What's your point?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Wow. I have to echo Tim, what a review! We are becoming more and more certain that an ev will make an appearance here within a few years. My job has recently changed and I have a V8 itch to scratch before I turn my back on petrol, but it is nice to see electric becoming more accessible and more exciting.
    The first Tesla I saw was a model S a fair few years ago at Goodwood festival of speed. I watched silently roll out of the pits and then silently disappear up the hill faster than a lot of the historic formula one cars! Since then I have been becoming more and more interested.
    Cheers for the review!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123