M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Air filter cold feed

I was looking at everyones car at J.A.E. and looking at ways people had achieved a cold air feed to their induction kits.

A lot of the cars I had seen seemed to have plenty of room even though most of their bays were filled up, at least if that was the case their filters were at the front and at least shielded pretty well as standard.
    The battery relocation was an excellent thought although it requires long heavy cables run to the back, it is pretty simple to do.
    Even those with big batteries had plenty of room, it seems it is just us with this problem.
    Ideas were chucked around about using a smaller battery which is fine.. until you have cold weather and it doesn't have the power to start the car or you leave a little 10 watt interior light on for 20 minutes the battery would go flat.
    I've got a huge battery in my car and we looked at ways of possibly rotating it but it is still too big, so I'm looking into moving the battery to the boot.

Just thought I'd post this picture as it made me laugh, caught it on camera at J.A.E. I can't believe it starts this car, and looking at the rest of the car, it had also been modified quite a bit.. christ knows how this battery can start the engine..

It's a Nissan S13 200SX

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

nice battery..

yup, i think ive made up my mind - mines going in the boot aswell.. on the left side.. either induction is going there, or like rhys's car, into the bumper... either way, the battery has to go in the boot to get the space
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Yeah my bro is doing this with his Rover 620Ti - gonna see how he gets on but seems fairly simple - wonder if it affects your insurance as a mod ???

Pete

Name
    Mohammed
    Last Online
    07-04-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom

hi

make sure it is well secure or rear impact INSERT INTO post VALUES (in barrys case roundabouts) could have battery acid all over. as you guys know i have mine in the boot but its a optima battery fully sealed.

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

I was thinking about removing the existing battery cradle and installing that in the boot and then box it up.

Where is the best place to buy battery cable thick enough to supply the starter motor, fuel pump etc.
    I'm not interested in fancy OFC silver plated cable just high current stranded thick stuff?

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Think you can get it in ****fords INSERT INTO post VALUES (sorry Halfords)

Pete

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

*Shudder* you said Halfords. :eek:

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

I'm sorry

[/activate hold head in shame mode]

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Mark

You got any further on with this ?

Pete

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Haven't had the time.. it's still on my mind to do, just thinking of the best way to do it..
    It's so hard that we just haven't quite got the room without doing something drastic. :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

I know what you mean mate - time is always difficult and these needs a lot of thought and potentially money to move battery/design/make something - must be a company out there who could do something for us onder:

Name
    Brian
    Last Online
    24-10-2012
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, S60R, GT-R

BraindG wrote:
    on the left side.. either induction is going there, or like rhys's car, into the bumper
    I'd be wary of lowering the height at which you draw the cold air feed. Original Golf GTIs had the feed behind the bumper and were prone to hydraulicking INSERT INTO post VALUES (sp?) the engine going through deep puddles :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( . Very expensive to fix on the Golf, doesn't bear thinking about on the VR-4 :eek: .

Brian
    S60R | GT-R

artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I have been considering this, and im just going to move the battery to the boot, and place the filter in that space, then bring up some cold air feeds from the bumper.. think this is the best option..

Name
    Mohammed
    Last Online
    07-04-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom

yep

he is right

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

This is RichW's from the MLR forum EVO website: http://www.lancermods.co.uk/

He has moved his battery but he had enough space to just move it out the way without having to install the battery in the boot.
    He has shown the steps he took to move his battery, it's an EVO so it obviously doesn't totally relate but the fact he moved it and made a base for it is still a universal idea.
    He has moved the filter in place of where the battery was and supplied the area with a cold air feed, he has brought the feed up from the ground which could potentially drink any water but the end of the feed isn't directed at the filter but just underneith so if water was to shoot up the pipe it wouldn't effect the filter.
    He has since added more feeds which are directed at the filter which I don't think is a very good idea if the car is driven in rain, he is now changing the idea once more with a K&N but he found better results from the HKS I believe but whatever he decides..
    Here is the link to the cold air feed section but you can find it easy enough anyway. http://www.agent.o.clara.net/coldair...oldairfeed.htm

Here is the picture where the feed isn't directed at the filter. http://www.agent.o.clara.net/coldairfeed/coldair3.JPG

I've been getting pictures of lots of cars trying to figure out the best way to do ours.. it's just the time involved in doing it.

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Cheapest way to buy decent flexable high amperage cable is to use welding cable from any welders shop.

Check this for example: http://www.johndavies.co.uk/newweldi...ndfittings.htm

We have short 10mm cable coming from the battery so if you were too run a longer lengh it's probably best to up that to the next size of 16mm and then make several earth joints on the way back to give the same effect as the additinal bonding straps if you like, two jobs in one.

Last Online
    23-12-2004
    Country
    England

What is that funnel shaped thing INSERT INTO post VALUES ( sorry no camera) that runs into the airbox, where do you think that it takes its air from. Couldn't that be modified to provide a cold air feed - or does it do that already ?

I've seen on prefacelift models a 'mini-grill' INSERT INTO post VALUES (above the VR4 badge in the grill) with about 10 holes which allows air to get behind the grill. It seems as though it would then feed through more cut outs up into the funnel and into the air filter when the bonnet is down.

On my post facelift model there is no 'mini-grill', so air can't get in that way.

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Stealing pictures of Petes car again.

Most of us have kept that plastic feed from the original air box and just removed the box itself, so the funnel is still directed at it, but the filter still gets very hot as it isn't shielded from the engine, whereas if it was in place of the battery it would be far better, a simple shield around the filter may halp a little but it will still soak up way too much heat..
    Mine hasn't got the original air feed as it was done before I got the car, so I'm even worse off.

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

To be honest I am not really sure we are gonna get much better than this in the long run :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

Name
    calum
    Last Online
    02-01-2021
    Country
    Scotland

What about a gel filled, sealed battery to go under the passenger seat INSERT INTO post VALUES (or elsewhere) like this?
    http://www.st205.net/techinfotrelocate.htm

Calum

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast