Much as the title suggests, lol.

Backstory, the VR4 is coming out to play if it likes it or not. Lots of work done, car now starts and runs. No charge tho, and no battery warning light at any point. Also an electrical unhappiness smell, burning silicon gubbins, you may know it well, inside the car after connecting battery and turning ignition on...

Obviously the alternator would be a first call, but they are hardly a drop out and drop in job. So I cheated slightly, removed the cables from the alternator, connected them to a known good alternator from dad's fto..sat it on the engine for earth. Still no battery light when battery connected and ignition on, still. The burning electronics smell. Car would still start and run.

So I'm thinking voltage regulator. After that it's ECU which is connected to alternator I believe? I have spares of all likely parts but not keen on constantly overloading and potentially more problems. So I'm thinking check voltage regulator, will I find it on the back of the clocks or is it somewhere more unusual?

Corin