Last Online
    15-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 2.4GDI Wagon

Thumbs up Hi! Just got my first Mitsubishi

Hi All,

Really pleased to have joined the forum because of the amazing amount of information and knowledge shared. A few months back I purchased a 2003 Galant Equippe 2.4GDI Estate. I was on eBay looking at Subaru Legacy's and stumbled across the advert. As soon as I saw it I knew she was for me. So I drove over 6 hours to be presented with such a beautiful car that has clearly been loved and cared for, the service and vehicle history is unbelievably detailed. Only 96k on the clock too. I wish to continue looking after her as the previous owners have done. All the mods I would have done, such as LED interior lights have all been done. Catch can has been done as well which is handy. Lovely Pioneer Head unit with upgraded door speakers and wiring in the boot floor for amps and a sub! I am facing a few little problems such as not having a remote key with buttons, a slight misfire on Cylinder 3 at low rpm when cold and my drivers door sensor is not working, it means I've left the lights on a few times

Overall I just adore how she drives, the amazing driving position with the wipers and indicators perfectly in reach from the MOMO wheel. The sure footedness of fully independent suspension is something I was missing terribly. Even on the current winter tyres I'm amazed at what a responsive and sharp handling car it is. I know the GDI is not for power so I just relax and cruise along keeping my lean burn light on the dash. Just an armchair with a steering wheel until you want something more. I love the INVECS-II Transmission was very very surprised and it reminded me of my Honda Autos right away.

I think my misfire on 3 is due to the wires leading to the coil packs need to be insulated again as work has been done on the wires previously by the looks of things. The door sensor should be a doddle and I guess COBRA or Mitsubishi can hook me up with a new fob? Then I'm going to get her to Mitsubishi for a full service before the winter

I know she isn't a VR4 or anything fast or a special model etc but it's perfect running costs for me and I receive compliments on it often. I hope you guys like it

Look forward to speaking with you all and learning all I can to keep her in this condition!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600 (4).jpg   s-l1600 (5).jpg   s-l1600 (6).jpg   s-l1600 (10).jpg   s-l1600 (11).jpg  

s-l1600 (12).jpg   s-l1600 (15).jpg  

PunkyB
    2003 Mitsubishi Galant Estate Equippe 2.4 GDI INVECS-II finished in Trigger Mauve Pearl

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

That is a smart looking car. I like the wheels.

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Nice to see pics, and such a detailed opening post too!

The GDI really benefits from being run on super unleaded, as it runs in the Eco GDI mode much more with the higher octane fuel. I seem to recall that this reduces carbon build-up too.

You can take out the door sensor and clean the contacts. This should at least give it some more life for a while. Handy to have working properly though, as if the alarm auto-locking is on, you can potentially lock yourself out of the car if it thinks you've already got in and shut the door!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    15-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 2.4GDI Wagon

Thanks! I have no idea if they are standard or not

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    15-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 2.4GDI Wagon

Thanks very much, it received some nice attention on Reddit as well! Especially as the Americans didn't get wagons.

Yes I only run on Shell 99, in an emergency I might be given to using normal 97 super unleaded but only in an emergency. I've ordered a new fuel label off of eBay to cover the 95 RON minimum sticker with a no E10 label just in case my mum takes it out or something in an emergency. I didn't think about trying to repair the sensor or clean it as I haven't taken it off yet I know to be careful not to let the cable fall back into the hole it comes out of!

I don't know if I have a working alarm. All I have the ability to do is lock or unlock with my plain key. I can see that a very considerate previous owner has installed a cobra touch pen immobiliser system but this clearly has been disabled because there are no immobiliser keys yet I am able to start the car. I think an automotive locksmith might be my best bet for making sure that I get my remote and immobiliser systems back online and all correctly working. I look forward to restoring, or for my purposes, partially restoring the subwoofer system

I'd be really interested to know if there's any common modifications or upgrades to the Galant that are frequently done by owners?

Also it's very hard to find any kind of workshop manuals etc on the Galant. Is being a paid-up member of the forum helpful for DIYers and people who might want to do upgrades?

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Being a paid up member will allow you to access the resources section. The site is highly biased to the VR4 so there won't be that much specific stuff for your car.

However, despite being a quiet place these days, there are members on here who know just about everything you'd ever need to know about maintaining the car and it's free to ask questions.

Full membership is only £10 a year so not really a lot anyway.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    15-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 2.4GDI Wagon

Thanks Tar, I guess some information at least would apply with regards to interior etc. You see I have absolutely no workshop manual for the car and it's driving me mad. eBay sometimes has a Haynes or Mitsubishi workshop manual but for the US version of the Galant. I have some PDFs regarding the engine etc but a proper workshop manual would be good. If it's quiet here that's no problem I'm on r/Galant on Reddit, and the Facebook Galant owners and parts groups which someone thankfully told me about

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hello and welcome!

All the PDF manuals that you can find on eBay and the likes are here, behind the "Paid Membership" banner (which is still probably cheaper than the eBay listings?) - it'll also give you access to all the other guides - which, although are primarily VR-4 specific, there is a number of things which are probably also relevant to you.