Muhammad
    Last Online
    05-04-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    MitsubishiGalnt

Question 6A13 N/A rattle noise from engine bay at high rpm

Hello everyone, I own a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant with the naturally aspirated 2.5L 6A13 engine. The car has 233,000 kilometres on the dash. While in park it's making this rattling noise at around 3000-4000 rpm and while driving the noise comes in at around 5500-6000 rpm. I don't feel like there's any loss of power in the engine and don't have any idea where the noise is coming from, if anybody has faced this problem or would be able to guide me on how to fix it, it would be much appreciated.

I've attached two videos for reference , sorry about the loud noise of the car revving in the second one my friend was stepping on the gas pretty hard.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Name
    Muhammad
    Last Online
    05-04-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    MitsubishiGalnt

I got the 6A13 engine opened from the bottom on my EA5A Galant and found that one of the rods is worn out a bit too much, couldn't find any other 6A13 to swap in but I found a 6g73 from a Mitsubishi Diamante E-F41A 25v-se and am planning to swap that engine in my car since the mounts are all the same, my question now is that my car has a 4 speed auto fwd gearbox F4A4 and that engine comes with a 5 speed auto awd W4A422 gearbox. Would my gearbox F4A422 be compatible with this engine, if its not just a plug a play job what would I need to do to make it work?
    Last edited by urajapeace; 29-03-2024 at 11:33 PM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

You are asking some interesting questions there, but I'm not sure any of us have the experience to answer them!
    My guess would be that the bolt pattern on the gearbox and the mounting points will be key.
    In some cars the TCU and the ECU are combined - I'm not sure about your car or the donor car, but that might also confuse the issues of installation?

Name
    Muhammad
    Last Online
    05-04-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    MitsubishiGalnt

Well I ended up finding out the bell housing was totally different for both gearboxes right before getting the engine shipped and canceled the transaction. Couldn't find another 6A13 or better factory engine for the car.

Got the crank machined but found out this engines bearings apparently only come in standard size, so no factory bearings for my machined crankshaft ( also my rod in which the bearing spun was a little scraped up I've attached pictures ) Now I'm getting the bearings custom made by a fabricator that's known for making exceptionally well bearings for machined cranks and he will adjust one bearings fitting and do something with worn rod.

Once the bearings and everything is ready, i'll put the engine back together and put in 100% synthetic amsoil premium protection 20w50 ( I just bought the car 3 weeks ago after being told the sound was coming from the engines tappets which was a huge lie and now I've gained some experience about engine noises lol ) and hopefully that will do the trick with regular maintenance. Wish me good luck , will update everyone on Sunday/ Monday on how everything went

rod1.jpgrod.jpg
    Last edited by Humpty's Revenge; 04-04-2024 at 12:45 PM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Good luck!