Thread: Possible security breach by the Googles Webaccelerator if full members use it

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

Possible security breach by the Googles Webaccelerator if full members use it

Quote from an article

"I'm having to pay a coder just to figure out how to prevent Google from caching all the webpages on our forums. Why is this a problem? Well first of all, it's a giant security hole, as private forums for mods and admins can now be viewed by anybody. Thanks Google, thank you very much for sharing our sensitive information with the entire Internet, without even giving warning or notice to any parties involved! Secondly, our forums offer a private messaging feature, where users can send messages to each other which can only be read by them. It's like AIM or ICQ, but through a webpage. If you're using Google's Web Accelerator - guess what? - now anybody can read your private messages! Cookies, logins, sensitive information, private messages - they're all stored on Google's servers now, and they're all available for anybody on the Internet to read."

see full article here
    Last edited by KiwiTT; 06-05-2005 at 01:40 AM.
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a VR-4, around corners at speed. But it costs see here

Name
    James
    Last Online
    15-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Old VR4 Owner

That's quite frightening.

I'm rather dubious about those sort of things anyway, so there's no way I'd use it.

Last Online
    12-05-2006
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 Legnum VR-4

They must have some pretty serious hardware and bandwidth for that to work. I guess its just one more step on from the caching of web pages that they've been doing for some time.

Last Online
    12-11-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by _simon_
    They must have some pretty serious hardware and bandwidth for that to work. I guess its just one more step on from the caching of web pages that they've been doing for some time.
    Google have so much hardware and soo many PC's in their farms running their software and searching algorythms and databases that if one of the machines stops responding, they don't actually have the time of resource to go and turn it back on. it just sits there dead.

There are some very clever guys working for Google. very clever.