Last Online
    23-05-2011
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Z3 Coupe 2.8

Question 'box havin' a strop.....

Hi all,

in my quest to drive back from Germany as fast as possible last night, I filled up, reset the ECU and set off.

problem is my 'box seems to have a real downer on 3rd, it will go 1-2 2-3 feels okay, then it lurches 3-4 doesn't seem to want to stay in 3rd for long at all.

So I assumed it was just all the autobahn cruising had got the box thinking I like to press on and it tries to race through the box.

So this morning I reset again and went for a gentle drive, to remind the car that one prefers to waft around the place. It's just not having it.

Any ideas?

I guess the ATF could be cooked, a few hours at 120? I'd be surprised.

If it doesn't settle down tomorrow I shall be off to da dealer for a 'flush' and see if that will cure all.

A
    Formerly: '99 Black Legnum VR4
    Then: '99 Toyota Corolla (succesfully adopted by Girlfriend )
    Then: Audi A3, gave up on the Cabrio idea (T-boned by a guy who couldn't see in the dark. Quote "Your car is too black")
    Now: Smart Cabrio (so much fun from so little HP)
    Latest: BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8 (ahhhh... that's better)

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

my box has just had a new torque seal, & been given a clean bill of health.
    but the biatch still does not like changing from 4th to 5th !!
    under gentle acceleration, It's fine, but push a bit harder & it over-revs slightly before changing ??
    i think it's just a quirk of these boxes ??

INVECS 11............ the 'learning' box ?? more like a bl%%dy mind of it's own !!

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    23-05-2011
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Z3 Coupe 2.8

It was perfect after the last service, and I hadn't reset it since.

I shall have to grovel before the all-powerful service manager and see if he wants to be nice to me, and do whatever they did again.

Flowers and choccys maybe? It's usually the way to get what you want

A

Last Online
    26-01-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Astra 1.9CDTi 120 XP

funny this should crop up.... or not!

Mines doing it from 2nd to 3rd. Just in the upshift.

The only way I can get a smooth change is by anticipating the gear change and slightly backing off the loud pedal. Makes no difference if in auto or tip.
    The worrying thing about it is, this is how it was behaving just prior to snapping a shaft...

Will be resetting the box again soon anyway, cos my local Tesco's haven't caught up with the rest of the south-east and don't stock any high octane stuff.....
    Last edited by Legnum Boy; 08-05-2005 at 02:21 PM.
    Legnum Boy

Kwik Kwak's Rule

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

Quote Originally Posted by adam_shaw
    Flowers and choccys maybe? It's usually the way to get what you want
    Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.
    ----
    Dr McCuckoo - Avatar Victim Extraordinare.

The KieranCorp Secret Service continues to viciously abuse and falsely accuse this innocent paragon of virtue. The distress has been so great that he no longer can continue his selfless charitable work with homeless children and abused sheep.

The Kierancorp Secret service is interested in hearing from anyone who has red hair, likes wearing a spook uniform, and enjoys nocturnal barbecues. Funny handshake optional.

Last Online
    18-09-2009
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 vr4 legnum

mine does the same tuing between 4th and 5th... was a bit worried when it first did it, and it only does it when the loud pedal is down... if anyone can explain this it would be greatly appreciated.... and if it is a quirk of the "intelligent INVECS box" then it cant be that smart now can it.
    1998 Legnum vr-4, boost guage, K and N type cone filter, turbo timer, pioneer flipface stereo, cell phone holder, slighty dodgy factory digital clock, bit o' sand in the boot carpet.

KONMAN

Name
    Nigel
    Last Online
    06-01-2013
    Country
    Other
    Car
    1997 Legnum VR4

I started filling up with Tesco 99 early last week, last fill up with 99 was on Saturday in North Wales where I filled up with Optimax as local Tescos don't have the 99 yet.

As soon as I started using the Tesco 99 the gearbox decided to become a bit grumpy, changing up and down between fourth to fitth in normal driving.

So I reset the ECU after the fill up with Optimax and it was better after that. Anyway I had to fill up again this morning and used BP 97.

Almost straight away it became grumpy again.

My theory is that the electronics senses the lower octane somehow and adjusts the gearbox behaviour to compensate for slight loss of power, pinking etc. etc.

Just my theory anyway............
    "May the boost be with you"

1996 Red Legnum VR-4. Brembo calipers now fitted on the front with EBC discs and pads. Now sold
    1999 Ralliart black Evo 6. HKS air filter, Blitz big bore decat exhaust, Apexi AVC-R boost contoller, ECUTEK remapped ECU, running at 1.6 Bar maximum boost - 380 BHP - mmmmmmmmm.

Name
    DeK
    Last Online
    03-01-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    6Gee n VW4mo

Something similar happened to my car over the weekend too...

Driving 85 - 95ish certainly drains the fuel kwickly.. and I was desperate for fuel and chucked in some 95 ...

Within 5 mins or so flooring it in 2nd and 3rd gearchange was a bit rough and received a nasty fuel cut

Also got this weird over revving when lifting off temporarily.. just around the anticipated gear change and sumtimes a jerky change in tip if changing up almost immediately having just lifted off the gas too...

My recirc dump valve has been a bit vocal of late too, is there any link? is there anyway of checking if dump vlaves are working properly? Also would like any thoughts on whether an evo FQ340 recirc dump valve could have issues on a VR4? (I know slightly OT)

Cheers

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    23-05-2011
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Z3 Coupe 2.8

Well it seems to have settled down a bit, but like Legnum Boy - I think I'm anticipating the whiplash and backing off at that stage.

Was into the garage today, and Mr Service manager sent a monkey out to reset it for me, but he did plug in the MUT-II to 'reset' it?!?

B@ll@cks or not?

I shall have a better idea tomorrow if it worked (can you spell placy , placib, placebo).

On an unrelated matter, one of my new lower arms is already knackered (3K miles ) so they're giving me another when I'm in for the next service.

What alerted me to this was clunking noises braking at low speeds.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

My Auto box took around 600 miles B4 it settled down after my last ECU reset .. So i don't reset the Ecu anymore even if i put cack fuel in .. My box is perfoming better now than ever so i ain't about to do a reset for the sake of a bit of fuel ..

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by pezza

My recirc dump valve has been a bit vocal of late too, is there any link? is there anyway of checking if dump vlaves are working properly? Also would like any thoughts on whether an evo FQ340 recirc dump valve could have issues on a VR4? (I know slightly OT)

Cheers
    Pez .. If your thinking of changing your Dumpvalve , why are you going for a recirculating one .. ??

Name
    DeK
    Last Online
    03-01-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    6Gee n VW4mo

Quote Originally Posted by WODJNO
    Pez .. If your thinking of changing your Dumpvalve , why are you going for a recirculating one .. ??
    I will answer this HERE so I don't get flamed here for being OT

Name
    DeK
    Last Online
    03-01-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    6Gee n VW4mo

Quote Originally Posted by adam_shaw
    Well it seems to have settled down a bit, but like Legnum Boy - I think I'm anticipating the whiplash and backing off at that stage.

Was into the garage today, and Mr Service manager sent a monkey out to reset it for me, but he did plug in the MUT-II to 'reset' it?!?

B@ll@cks or not?

I shall have a better idea tomorrow if it worked (can you spell placy , placib, placebo).

On an unrelated matter, one of my new lower arms is already knackered (3K miles ) so they're giving me another when I'm in for the next service.

What alerted me to this was clunking noises braking at low speeds.
    Good luck with the Mut reset... did you see the pretty display of flashing dash lights when they used it?

Cant believe your lower arms are gone again...

These clunks are at low speed and also when moving from forward to reverse? I am hearing a lil clunk and click (not sure if thats my pads tho)?

Last Online
    27-03-2009
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 Type-S

A good flush and a good type of fluid like AMSoil would help, still waiting to get mine.
    96-97 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S