Last Online
    25-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1995 GT Sports

Feeling Rough ??

Help !!
    I've been reading some of the old posts on safe mode etc.
    The guy I bought more car off assured me it ran on regular unleaded....and thats all I have run it on and it's been fine.
    Reading the threads about safe mode tempted me into filling up with premium and resetting the ECU.
    Thing is it's running much worse now .It wasn't too bad to start with , but now it won't tickover on idle ( just stalls ) and it's hesitating when you accelerate and it just feels slightly off .
    Is mine a model that only uses regular unleaded ? What can I do to get it back to normal ?

Geoff

Last Online
    10-05-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    WRX !!!???

Hi m8 - assume you have checked std stuff - spark leads, dirty or part blocked, fuel filter, vac pipes all connected and good condition etc etc.
    Another to check is that the standard re-circ BOV is not damaged and the vent back pipe is OK - the MAS is expecting air to go back in to the system.........

Just make sure that all 'normal' stuff is OK before looking at the odd stuff like what RON fuel you use................

Smokin.............

Name
    Nige
    Last Online
    29-02-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by bensonsnuts
    What can I do to get it back to normal ?
    Assuming it was running fine before, just give it a few miles for the ECU to relearn.

My tickover is erratic (especially with AC on) for about 70-80 miles after ECU reset. Quite normal according to members on this forum.

Last Online
    10-05-2008
    Country
    England
    Car
    WRX !!!???

Just noticed the car he has.....................

Still applicable???

Smokin...........

Name
    Nige
    Last Online
    29-02-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinmasta2
    Just noticed the car he has.....................

Still applicable???

Smokin...........
    I would think so, the ECU architecture will be similar.

Name
    Geoff
    Last Online
    25-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1995 GT Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinmasta2
    Hi m8 - assume you have checked std stuff - spark leads, dirty or part blocked, fuel filter, vac pipes all connected and good condition etc etc.
    Another to check is that the standard re-circ BOV is not damaged and the vent back pipe is OK - the MAS is expecting air to go back in to the system.........

Just make sure that all 'normal' stuff is OK before looking at the odd stuff like what RON fuel you use................

Smokin.............
    Haven't checked anything else as I'm mechanically inept . Checking the oil and disconnecting the battery just is just about the sum of my knowledge.
    It was running absolutely fine before I disconnected the battery . Had put the super unleaded in the day before and it was running fine on the old settings . Reset the ecu and drove about 25 miles before parking up . All the problems started when I got back in . First noticed the lack of idle control and then it just seemed to get worse .
    Had probably done about 80 or 90 miles on the re-set ecu , but I've since re-set it again , so I'm back on zero miles.
    As long as its ok to drive I could take it for a spin , but I'm not certain that a drive would help the idle speed.
    It wouldn't need a manual adjustment to set the idle would it ?
    Last thing I need is a poorly motor as I was hoping to take a run along to the Japfest this weekend.

Name
    Nige
    Last Online
    29-02-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum VR4

It's a bit of a long shot, but I wonder whether your car has an idle stepper motor (like newer galants) and this is cycled open / shut after a battery reconnect.

Maybe yours has stuck.

Last Online
    16-07-2010
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    legnum vr4 type-s

I had one of these cars and I found it could take the ecu quite a while to relearn while driving at different speeds overa few days, the car does have an idle stepper motor which I had to clean a few times, this can be tested by getting the car up to temp removing the motor but leave it connected to the loom, then switching the ignition on. You should see the piston move out then back in again when you turn off.
    Another thing I had to do reguarly was clean the throttle body with carb cleaner
    You can adjust the idle speed by adjusting the screw in the top of the throttle body but this isn't the long term solution.
    As smokin said I would check all the usual stuff as well, vac pipes etc
    hope this helps
    97 legnum vr4 type s

Name
    Geoff
    Last Online
    25-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1995 GT Sports

Just got back in after taking it out for a spin. Did about 100 miles of varied driving ,but mainly motorway speeds.
    Still no improvement. Orange engine light is coming on quite often ,mainly when easing off the accelerator and letting the car slow down.
    Stalls at every junction and won't idle at all when parked . Revs drop straight to zero.
    I'll try and check some of that other stuff in the morning.
    Strangebat....did you used to run yours on regular or super ??

Geoff

Last Online
    16-07-2010
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    legnum vr4 type-s

I ran mine on super apart from the od time when I coulbn't get any

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

souds like it could possibly be a faulty sensor, but when you know it was good before you disconnected,!? check all the basics, and that you havent pulled anything when moving the battery conections, good luck
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Nigel
    Last Online
    06-01-2013
    Country
    Other
    Car
    1997 Legnum VR4

Sounds like a job for the AA man.......

Some of them really know their cars, like the one who came out when my alternator packed up last week.

He had owned several Shoguns and when he opened the bonnet of my Legnum he said "thats a Shogun engine turned sideways - with extras !"
    "May the boost be with you"

1996 Red Legnum VR-4. Brembo calipers now fitted on the front with EBC discs and pads. Now sold
    1999 Ralliart black Evo 6. HKS air filter, Blitz big bore decat exhaust, Apexi AVC-R boost contoller, ECUTEK remapped ECU, running at 1.6 Bar maximum boost - 380 BHP - mmmmmmmmm.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
    Some of them really know their cars, like the one who came out when my alternator packed up last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
    He had owned several Shoguns and when he opened the bonnet of my Legnum he said "thats a Shogun engine turned sideways - with extras !"
    ?? Contradiction there or sarcasm ??

Name
    Nigel
    Last Online
    06-01-2013
    Country
    Other
    Car
    1997 Legnum VR4

Bit of both !

Name
    Geoff
    Last Online
    25-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1995 GT Sports

Still running crap , so it's down at Mitsubishi waiting to be plugged into the comp . £45 + vat for the 1st hour and a 1/2

Name
    Geoff
    Last Online
    25-05-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1995 GT Sports

Quote Originally Posted by bensonsnuts
    Still running crap , so it's down at Mitsubishi waiting to be plugged into the comp . £45 + vat for the 1st hour and a 1/2
    Well..... it's sorted.

Bit embarassing really , but then I already said I'm a hopeless mechanic.
    Took it in to S.G Petch our local Mitsubishi dealer . After one and 1/2 hrs on the comp . They called me to say the air sensor was faulty and would need replacing at a cost of £600.
    Well..........after I'd picked myself off the floor , I went down to collect the car . Told them I would have to find a cheaper option.
    I collected the car and drove round the corner . By now the penny had dropped and I popped the bonnet for a look .
    Now when I reset the ecu I had removed the foam air filter and cleaned it. I wondered if I had dislodged anything when I had opened the air box ??
    Checked around and all seemed ok. Opened the air-box and..........the engine had tried to swallow the foam insert . I know I re-fitted it correctly (only fits one way) but somehow it had sucked the foam out and jammed the intake.
    No wonder the bloody air sensor was reading faulty.
    I went straight back to the dealer with the air filter in my hand.
    They were mortified , apologised and refunded my money .
    I could have made more of a scene , but I was that relieved/embarassed/annoyed that I left it at that.