17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

Unhappy Its gotta go

Well, it had to happen one day I suppose

The V6 is to be sold. My days of V6 Sport ownership are numbered

We have had the V6 for 2 years now and it is time to change. I have so enjoyed owning the Galant and if the right car appears I am sure that I shouldn't have any problem convincing Nicola to go for a newer version of the Galant but with less mileage.

So, once I have had the chance to give it a clean and get the odd scratch and dent repaired, there will be a Black V6 Sport for sale pretty soon.

Oh, a sad day indeed.

Will I still be eligible for membership even without a Galant? I am hoping that I will still have it for Japshow but if not I will just have to bring whatever replacement the wife has decided on buying (but no BMWs ).
    2014 Skoda Octavia 2.0 petrol Vrs estate
    2015 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 Tdi Bluemotion
    1971 BRG MGB Roadster
    1970 VW T2 Baywindow camper

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Sad to hear this Col, but why are you swapping, if another Galant is one of your considerations? Is there something wrong with your current sport?

Don't worry about membership - Simon has a Skyline and we still let him in!

Sp this means you are wimping out of squaring up to the almighty Hordak in your V6 and buying something else instead?!?!
    Last edited by Kieran; 08-06-2005 at 03:50 PM.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

Nothing wrong with the current one other than it has done 108,000. Its just had a cam belt service and drives like new but Nicola seems to think that it is more likely to break down because it has high mileage. I don't know but since I don't often get the chance to change the car I am taking this opportunity.

If another Galant is available, like I said we would consider. But it would have to be a 2001/2002 model with less than 35,000 miles and a reasonable price and there aren't that many up for sale with the right spec!

'She who must be obeyed' has expressed a preference for a similar size car with a nice interior, no boy racer bits (so Evo/Impreza/Skyline are out) but with a sporty character. I have said no BMWs (so no M3/M5) and we dont want a Ford (so no ST220, etc). Any ideas? Budget is less than £15,000 if we can but thats not set in stone.

I promise you that whatever I end up with I will pit it against Hordak, be it a 1.1L Micra or V8 Holden It may take some time to sell the V6 so I may still be able to match it against you anyway so don't go relaxing just yet Billy Bob.

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

Quote Originally Posted by colV6Sport
    Nothing wrong with the current one other than it has done 108,000. Its just had a cam belt service and drives like new but Nicola seems to think that it is more likely to break down because it has high mileage.
    eh - just keep it - it aint going to break!!! If you have forked out for cambelt service- get some use out of it. Dont worry about mileage - as long as it serviced properly. I'm in the U.S. at the mo and the guys here keep their cars / pickups til around the 200/300K mark (and that includes US spec galants BTW)

As for other cars - there really is no other car that is like the galant - whatever version
    BMW E60 525i (3.0) M-Sport.

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

'She who must be obeyed' has expressed a preference for a similar size car with a nice interior, no boy racer bits (so Evo/Impreza/Skyline are out) but with a sporty character. I have said no BMWs (so no M3/M5) and we dont want a Ford (so no ST220, etc). Any ideas? Budget is less than £15,000 if we can but thats not set in stone.
    Volvo S60 (T5)
    Volvo V70 T5
    Volvo S80 2.9 (or T6)
    Subaru Legacy (new shape) 2.5 (doubt you'll find a 3.0 on your budget)
    Honda Accord 2.4 Type S
    Jaguar XJ8 3.2 (late old shape)
    Jaguar X-type 3.0
    Saab 9-5 Aero

I think all of those fit the bill, and are all not-quite-mainstream choices (possible exception of the X type).

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Nothing wrong with the current one other than it has done 108,000. Its just had a cam belt service and drives like new but Nicola seems to think that it is more likely to break down because it has high mileage.
    EEEEEH ? mines on 132k and not a hint of a problem mind you knowing my luck something will go tits up now

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

....it has done 108,000. Its just had a cam belt service and drives like new but Nicola seems to think that it is more likely to break down because it has high mileage.......
    Nicola needs some re-education!! Seriously, 100,00+ used to be a mega mileage for a car.... Not these days, and especially not for something like a Mitsubishi V6. Whilst obviously the decision to change is entirely yours, I think, especially since you've just forked out a few megapounds getting the cambelt and stuff done, that you may as well continue with it.... Trust me here.... You'd be appalled at the part-exchange value - I should know, I've been looking to swap cars for something faster for a while....

AND, consider this.... If you're getting something new and less than 35,000 on the clock, it will cost... Especially something Galant sized. Think of what the money that you would have to use to repay a loan or HP agreement could be used for instead..... home repairs.... or maybe even something a bit older, but more special........

Then again, maybe it's time for all us non-VR4 owners with aspirations to grow up and mature...... I hear Mitsubishi do this cracking estate car.....

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    19-04-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Audi A4 Tdi

Quote Originally Posted by ritch_w
    eh - just keep it - it aint going to break!!! If you have forked out for cambelt service- get some use out of it. Dont worry about mileage - as long as it serviced properly. I'm in the U.S. at the mo and the guys here keep their cars / pickups til around the 200/300K mark (and that includes US spec galants BTW)

As for other cars - there really is no other car that is like the galant - whatever version
    listen to the man ....this is the reason i'm holding on to my GLS ive just looked after it toooooooo well to let it go (and spent some £££ on it ) and as for mileage i know of a GLS with over 245.000 miles and it's only had 2 clutches and a top end re-build, apart from the usual service stuff and normal wear N tear and it still crosses to Germany 5-6 time's a year my GLS has 93K and it feel's like it's just been run-in
    "Keep it col "... or you could buy a good VR4 for under £15K
    E39 BMW SPORT

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

oh if only it was that simple. I like the idea of the Jag X-Type, hadn't considered that one!!

I agree that the car is probably good for another 100k trouble free miles but then again I don't hold the purse strings and, lets be fair guys, if your missus said that it was time to change cars and get something newer and sporty which one of you would say "no its all right pet, I'll stick with this one that I've got thanks" ?

Someone is going to get a bobby bargain when they buy my car because it will have to be priced comparibly with others out there, so I won't get much more than £5K for it (if I'm really lucky) but when the budget for a new one is £15K why am I complaining?

I think the Volvo/Saab/Jag buy is on the horizon!! Unfortunately/fortunately....not sure!!

N.B. Thanks for the suggestions Isaac

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

which one of you would say "no its all right pet, I'll stick with this one that I've got thanks" ?
    your not wrong there mate

why dont you get a VR4 - if your budget is 15K - you'll get a late model quite easily

go on join the big boys - you knows it makes sense!!!

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

.....so I won't get much more than £5K....
    If you can get that for it, let me know the details of the garage you use!!!

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

Quote:Originally Posted by colV6Sport

.....so I won't get much more than £5K....

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    If you can get that for it, let me know the details of the garage you use!!!
    yep its not funny - £6.5K trade in, for a 02 V6 sport with 49K (half what it cost 18months before)

if it wasn't for shiny vr4 i would have cried like a bitch

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

I am lucky that the local Mitsi garage knows of a couple of people looking for the Galant. Apparently, the Galant has been getting some good write-ups in trading mags for buying second hand cars.....not that I've seen any of these 'write-ups' myself.

Anyway, they reckon in a private sale I could get £4.5-5k for it. They will take it off my hands for £3.5k, but I told them to ram that offer where the cave people dwell.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    19-04-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Audi A4 Tdi

our local Mitsy garage just sold a 01 plate for .........wait for it..............£9,950 and it was a GLX.........and it was an even more (to me) local guy that bought it "CRAZY"
    i also remember being told by a sale's woman at the same Mitsy Garage "the price's of 2nd hand Galant's are healthy, as no one will part with them for a newer Mitsy as they have not renewd the Galant here"
    and on my latest "un-decided" adventure i was offered £3K for my 98 against a 97-98 VR4 worth about £6-£6.5K

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

And a seat dealer offered me £1700 for my auto estate (which are supposed to be worth more). And that was against a new car (not that I had any intention of buying it.... I was bored on a bank holiday lunchtime).

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

Quote Originally Posted by scottish ian
    our local Mitsy garage just sold a 01 plate for .........wait for it..............£9,950 and it was a GLX.........and it was an even more (to me) local guy that bought it "CRAZY"
    i also remember being told by a sale's woman at the same Mitsy Garage "the price's of 2nd hand Galant's are healthy, as no one will part with them for a newer Mitsy as they have not renewd the Galant here"
    and on my latest "un-decided" adventure i was offered £3K for my 98 against a 97-98 VR4 worth about £6-£6.5K
    sounds like a bad idea for mitsy not to remake a galant over here.. but then it could be a good thing for us galant owners as the interest could keep the price up a bit i paid £8k for my 01 sport 6 months ago from a dealer with 24k on the clock and full warrenty
    "Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"................ (Gilles Villeneuve)

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

I may have someone interested in the leather interior in my car. They want to swap it with the Recaro interior in their VR4 but want to know if the wiring loom in the VR4 supports the side airbags in the V6 Sport. Is it a DIY job or a garage job to change the seats if they have airbags?

I think the guy has a 2002 VR4 saloon so the seat should be the same won't they?

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

I may have someone interested in the leather interior in my car. They want to swap it with the Recaro interior in their VR4 but want to know if the wiring loom in the VR4 supports the side airbags in the V6 Sport. Is it a DIY job or a garage job to change the seats if they have airbags?

I think the guy has a 2002 VR4 saloon so the seat should be the same won't they?
    Nevermind whether the VR-4 Supports side airbags or not - If you swap, the SRS Airbag light in YOUR car will illuminate, because you've disconnected part for the SRS system and haven't replaced it.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

But not all V6's come with the side impact protection its just the Sport IIRC. Is there not a way that you can remove the seats and reset the SRS?

I have been looking at what I can get for my car and the options of selling off the leather interior. It would be a straight swap for the recaro interior in the VR4 but I would get £600 for the leather interior. It shouldn't affect the resale value of my car though so I will still get about £4000.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    23-05-2011
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Z3 Coupe 2.8

Is the recaro interior not worth more anyway? Certainly seems to be harder to find.

A
    Formerly: '99 Black Legnum VR4
    Then: '99 Toyota Corolla (succesfully adopted by Girlfriend )
    Then: Audi A3, gave up on the Cabrio idea (T-boned by a guy who couldn't see in the dark. Quote "Your car is too black")
    Now: Smart Cabrio (so much fun from so little HP)
    Latest: BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8 (ahhhh... that's better)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast