Paul
    Last Online
    09-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 - S

Intercoolers

Do bigger intercoolers make sense for road use? OK so you can get cooler, denser air into the engine but doesn't the extra air capacity of a bigger intercooler mean it takes longer for the inlet pressure to build up? Hence more lag. Any one got any before and after performance figures?

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

There is a pressure drop yes, as you've pointed out there has to be. But, as the turbo's spool so quickly anyway, you wont notice the difference.

The offset of lower charge temps (esp if your running higher boost) compared to maybe 1psi loss which can be overcome by turning the boost up, is definately a possitive.

With regards to performance figures, they arent just going to make you power (if your only ever going to run low boost for example), but lower charge temps at equal pressure/revs etc will give you a power gain. So as these little tubs start doing nothing other than chopping hot air past 1bar, then you will definately see a gain at these elevated pressures. How much though, is anyones guess.

The main thing that id be happy about though, is that lower charge temps offset det, so your far less likely to be doing harm with lower charge temps.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Have had a couple of people in NZ report much better fuel economy after upgrading.

That might be to other reasons such as a dirty standard intercooler, but nevertheless, for the cost I think it is probably well worth it.

On a side note, with a standard intercooler, after a couple of minutes of fairly aggressive driving, I notice the car goes "flat" one assumes this is due to the ECU pulling timing due to knock or some such as the standard intercooler is no longer able to pull enough heat out.
    Problem has always gone away with 600x300x76 bar and plate intercooler.

Name
    scott
    Last Online
    06-01-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PAJERO

give me till the 16th when i have my dyno and ill give you a before and after

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45978